How to present the Gospel of Jesus Christ
KING JAMES VERSION HOLY BIBLE ONLY
USE PHYSICAL BIBLE, WHEN OUT SOUL-WINING, TO PRESENT THE GOSPEL
Stage 1 – The knowledge of sin
Introduce yourself and offer a tract to the person (e.g. Invite to local IFB church)
Proceed then in asking: ‘More importantly than giving you this tract… God forbid; if you were to die do you know 100% for sure that you would go to heaven?’
Await for response and then kindly and boldly ask the person something along the lines of: ‘If you have moment; I can show you from the word of God how you can be 100% sure that you’ll go to Heaven when you die.’
Begin Gospel presentation:
- Romans 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one
Explanation: That means nobody in the world is righteous. There’s only ever been one person who is righteous and that’s the Lord Jesus Christ.
2. Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God
Explanation: That means God is way up here (*lift arm/hand up high*); He’s holy, He’s just, He’s righteous, and we’re down here (*drop hand/arm down low*) as sinners, and every person on this planet has sinned.
3. James 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
Explanation: So, even if you have just broken one commandment (which is the same thing as God’s law), that makes you guilty before God.
4. And what is sin? Well, sin, according to 1 John 3:4, it says: Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
Explanation: So, sin is the transgression of God’s law, which is the same thing as breaking one of God’s commandments and, in the bible, God has hundreds of commandments, not just the ‘famous’ 10 commandments, which you have probably heard of. The bible actually say’s that ‘the thought of foolishness is sin’. So, it’s literally impossible to not sin.
That’s the first point you have to understand – it’s that you’ve sinned and, as long as you’re willing to admit that, you are on the road to being saved.
5. The second thing that you have to understand is that we have a penalty for the sin that we’ve committed: The bible says in Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death
Explanation: And so, one day we’re going to die because of the sins the we’ve committed, and a wage is something that you earn. So, for example, if you work a job, at the end of 2 weeks you expect a pay check, but unfortunately the wages of sin is death. It’s not just talking about a physical death, it’s also talking about a second death; the death of the soul.
Stage 2 – Understanding God’s punishment for sin
The bible teaches that death is being cast in hell (and the lake of fire):
- Revelation 20:10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
Explanation: So, the bible teaches that death (going to hell) is an eternal punishment. So, just like heaven is eternal life, the opposite is true when it comes to hell. Hell is eternal punishment in the lake of fire; it’s torment and it lasts forever.
2. Revelation 20:14-15: 14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. 15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
Explanation: So, the bible teaches that the 2nd death is being cast into the lake of fire, and these are the types of people that will be cast into the lake of fire:
3. Revelation 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
Explanation: So, maybe you’re not a murderer, or a whoremonger or an idolater, but every person has got to admit that they have lied before. So, that one lie is enough to put you into hell for all eternity. People may say that that doesn’t seem fair, but God is holy, God is righteous, God is just, and he doesn’t have to accept sin into heaven.
So, you have to understand that: 1. You have sinned, but 2. You have to also believe that hell is a real place, and you will be sent there for all eternity unless you get saved.
Stage 3 – Who is Jesus Christ?
But, God loves us and he doesn’t want to send anyone to hell, so he made a way for us to escape.
- Romans 5:8 says: But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Explanation: So, we understand that Jesus Christ died for us. But, before I explain this further, you need to understand who Christ is:
2. The bible says in 1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
Explanation: So, here we understand that God is a trinity (the triune God of the bible); he’s the Father, he’s the Word, and he’s the Holy Ghost. The bible proves that Jesus Christ is God, he’s not just the Son of God, he is God:
3. In John chapter 1 verse 1 it says: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Explanation: Jesus Christ is the Word and he is God. It goes on further to say in verse 2:
John 1:2-3: 2 the same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
Explanation: And then in verse 14 of the same chapter it says:
4. John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
Explanation: So, the Word is talking about Jesus Christ, and explaining to us that he came to the earth; God himself, manifest in the flesh. The bible teaches that Jesus Christ is God and he’s man. He’s the 2nd person in the trinity (the Word), he’s the Son of God the Father.
Stage 4 – What the LORD Jesus Christ has done for us
1. So, Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He was born of the virgin Mary in Bethlehem, his Father is God.
Jesus began to live his life and he was perfect in every way. That means he never sinned. At 30 years old he began his earthly ministry, where he was baptised by John the Baptist and he was filled with the Holy Spirit.
He went fourth preaching the kingdom of God, getting people saved and also doing great miracles amongst the people. Some of those miracles were the fact that he walked on water, he healed blind and deaf people, lepers (which was an incurable disease at that time), he brought fourth people from the dead and he preached the truth, and when you preach the truth you’ll begin to get some enemies and Jesus had some enemies known as the pharisees and the sadducees. They hated Jesus and went fourth to try and kill him.
Eventually Judas, his own disciple, betrayed him in the garden of Gethsemane and then they captured Jesus and began to hurt him and mock him. They spat in his face, ripped his beard out and the bible says his face was marred more than any other man. That means that his face was brutally beaten.
He had a crown of thorns placed upon his head, he was whipped and scourged to the degree that the flesh was torn off his body. He had to carry the cross to his execution; they nailed his hands and feet to that cross and he shed his blood for the sins of the people.
2. In 1 Peter 2:24 it says: Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
Explanation: So, Jesus Christ, His sacrifice on the cross is what pays for our sins.
3. In 1 John 2:2 it says: And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
Explanation: That means that he is the appeasement for God’s wrath. He paid for the sins of the whole world; everything you’ve ever done that’s sinful, everything that you will do that’s sinful, was paid for by Jesus Christ on the cross, and all you have to do to get that (payment), is believe on Christ.
So, not only did Jesus Christ die on the cross, he shed his precious blood for our sins, and the bible says that when he died, his soul went to hell:
4. The bible says in Act 2:31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.
Explanation: So, when Jesus died, if his soul was not left in hell, that means his soul had to have gone to hell. I’m not saying that he’s still in hell, he rose from the dead and he defeated death. The fact that he rose from the dead is what allows us to resurrect from the dead also.
5. 1 Corinthians 15:3-8: 3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: 5 And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve: 6 After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep. 7 After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles. 8 And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.
Explanation: So, the Apostle Paul is explaining the fact that Jesus died according to the scriptures, he was buried, he rose again the third day and he was seen of multiple people (even 500 people at once saw him), and then the Apostle Paul states the fact that he saw the resurrected Christ. So he was an eye witness of the resurrection, as were many others.
Stage 5 – How we are saved?
Now we know what Jesus did to purchase our salvation; he died he was buried, he rose again the third day. But how are we saved?
- The bible says in Acts 16:30-31: 30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? 31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
Explanation: So, the bible teaches that simply believing on Jesus Christ is what saves us. It doesn’t say believe and go to church, it doesn’t say believe and repent of all your sins (thats impossible), it doesn’t say believe and keep all the commandments (thats also impossible, Jesus kept all the commandments for us so that we could be saved). The bible simply teaches, we just must believe.
2. John 3:15-16: 15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Explanation: So, the bible’s very clear in multiple scriptures that all we have to do to be saved and go to heaven, is believe. That means put our faith in Christ, put our trust in him, and he will save us. It says he will give us eternal life, it says he’ll give us everlasting life; that means a life that never ends (which is going to heaven when you die).
3. John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
Explanation: So, there’s basically two types of people in this world; those that believe and those that believe not. Those that believe not, have the wrath of God abiding on them, they will got to hell for all eternity. But those that believe, they will go to heaven for all eternity.
Stage 6 – Salvation is a free gift given to those who, by faith in Christ, trust him alone for it
So, now we understand that salvation is purely by faith alone in Jesus, but we also need to understand that salvation is a gift. A gift is not something that you pay for, it’s something that somebody else pays for. Also [that gift], we don’t get by working for it, someone else worked for it; Jesus Christ paid for the gift of our salvation.
- Ephesians 2:8-9: 8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Explanation: So, just to break that down for you: Grace is something that you don’t deserve. We don’t deserve salvation, but God wants to give it to us anyway. We’re saved through faith and not by ourselves. It’s not the good works that we do, it’s not repenting of all of our sins, it’s not keeping all of the commandments. Although those things are good in and of themselves, but that’s not what saves you. What saves you is what Jesus did for you and trusting in him alone. It’s not of your own good works (or deeds) lest any man should boast.
We can’t boast before God with our good works. The only thing that we can present to God is the precious blood of Christ, that covers all of our sins.
2. Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Explanation: So, the gift of God is eternal life (that is salvation) and the only way that we can get it is through Jesus Christ our Lord. It’s a gift, it’s not something that we can earn. It’s not something that we have to try to keep. It’s given to us for free, no strings attached, simply by faith alone and we can never lose it once we have it.
3. Romans 4:5-8: 5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,
7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven (‘thats past’), and whose sins are covered (‘thats present’).
8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin (‘thats future’).
Explanation: See, all of our sins are covered by the blood of Christ and we cannot lose our salvation once we trust Christ alone for it. When we trust him, we have his righteousness imputed on us, forever. So, you can literally go to heaven without having any of your own works, as long as you have faith in Jesus, that’s what matters. Salvation a free gift from God, given to those who believe on Christ.
Stage 7 – Eternal security of the believer
So, once you receive salvation; you receive eternal life and that means a life that never ends. Everlasting life is what is says in John 3:16 and that means a life that lasts forever, and there’s nothing you can do to lose it (although a lot of people teach you can, it’s not true).
- John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life , and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
Explanation: That means once you believe on Christ you have (present tense) eternal life and you cannot lose that, you will not come into condemnation (which is hell). If you believe the gospel but you say ‘i don’t believe that its eternal life, I don’t believe that its something that I can’t lose for any reason’, the bible disagrees with you.
2. 1 John 5:10 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.
Explanation: So, the bible is about to tell us what this record is:
3. 1 John 5:11-13: 11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. 13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
Explanation: You see, God wants you to know that you have eternal life and it comes through believing (trusting by faith) in the Lord Jesus Christ. Nothing else and no one else. So if you say that you can lose eternal life, the bible says that you’re not believing the record that God gave of his Son.
4. Titus 1:2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;
Explanation: If God promises to do something, he’s going to do it and the bible says that he cannot lie. People will say that you could lose it but the bible does not teach that. The bible is explicitly clear that you cannot lose your salvation once you have it.
5. John 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
Explanation: Jesus is making it clear that once you trust him alone for salvation, he gives you the gift of eternal life, and nobody, including yourself, can pluck you out of God’s hand. There’s no sin that you can commit that would make you lose eternal life because that just flat out does not make sense. Logically, if it’s a life that last forever and you lose it for any reason, then it was never eternal in the first place, and the bible teaches that you get eternal life once you trust Christ.
People ask ‘can you just do anything you want and nothing ever happens to you?!’ No, I’m not saying that. We will be punished on this earth for the sins that we commit (Example ________), yet we will escape the fires of hell because we put our trust in Jesus and he promises us eternal life, and this life is in him.
6. Hebrews 12:6 ‘For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.’
It continues in [Hebrews] verse 9, it says: ‘Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?’
Explanation: So, the bible is teaching us this principle that once we become a son or a daughter of God, then he will chasten (chastise) and scourge those that are his, on this earth.
7. John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
Explanation: So, once you believe on Jesus Christ, you become a son or daughter of God. This is what we call being born again. Just like you’re born one time from your mothers womb, you’re born again (one time) (spiritually speaking) when you believe on Christ. The bible says he gives you his Holy Spirit and seals you unto the day of redemption. The bible says he will never leave thee nor forsake thee. So, when God becomes your Father, after you receive the gift of everlasting life (which is salvation), he will never disown you. Just like the fact your biological father will always be your biological father, God will always be your heavenly Father. He will never abandon you. Not matter what.
So, when you become a son or daughter of God, from then onwards you will never be condemned to hell but God can punish you in this life and he does punish his children in this life (Example ________). You’re not going to get away with the sins you commit in this world, while you live this life, but you will escape the fires of hell because you put your faith in Jesus Christ, and that’s what it takes to be saved.
Stage 8 – So, what do you personally believe it takes to be saved?
It is now CRUCIAL that you ask the person what they believe it takes to be saved.
Simply ask: ‘So, what do you personally believe it takes to be saved?’
Jesus says that out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh (Matthew 12:34), so the person will let you know what THEY believe it takes to be saved.
This will let you know if they understand the correct gospel or if they’re still wrong in their belief on how to go to heaven.
If they still don’t believe the right way to be saved then you will have to try and further explain the gospel, to make sure they understand it properly.
If they do understand the correct way to be saved, then proceed to Stage 9 and help them call upon the name of the Lord.
Stage 9 – Call upon the name of the Lord to be saved
- Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
Explanation: There is no one, including yourself, who is able to take you to heaven when you die, other than Jesus Christ. He is the only One that can save you.
2. John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
Explanation: The bible speaks in absolutes and Jesus makes it clear that he is the only way to be to be saved and that what he’s telling you is the truth. To be saved you must believe the fact that Jesus is who he says he is and that he will do what he says he’ll do. That means you have to believe in your heart that Jesus is God and that he will save you. You cannot trust a sinner to save you, you cannot trust yourself. You have to trust God, who sent his Son Jesus Christ, who has no sin and who died for you and rose again so that you could be saved.
3. Romans 10:9-10: 9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
& Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Explanation: So, if you believe that Jesus died for your sins (every sin you ever have done and ever will do), and that he was buried and that he physically rose from the dead three days later, and that if you trust him to save you he will, and that he will never take away the gift of eternal life that you receive once you believe on him; then the bible says that all you have to do is call upon his name and ask him. The bible says that whosoever calls upon his name shall be saved.
If you believe everything that I’ve showed you then id like to pray with you. It’s not the prayer in and of itself that saves you, it’s what you believe in your heart and the fact that you’ve believed on Jesus that saves you. Let’s bow our head together and pray to God. Repeat after me (in your heart and in your mouth):
‘Dear Jesus, I know that I’ve sinned, I know that I deserve hell. I know that you died for my sins on the cross and that you were buried and that you rose again the third day. I believe that eternal life is something that I get as a gift, that I can’t lose. Please take me to Heaven when I die. Please save me right now. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.’
Now it is paramount you make sure the person is saved by ensuring they grasped the fact that they can never lose their salvation. Now ask – ‘So, is there anything you can do to lose your salvation?’. Give the person an example such as: ‘God forbid, say 10 years from now, you’re not doing anything for the Lord and you commit a seriously bad sin (give an extreme example________).. would you lose your salvation?’
If the person still believes they can lose their salvation they’re not saved and you need to appropriately judge whether to continue to preach or move on.
Download the App
The Bible Way To Heaven
Presented by Pastor Aaron Thompson of Sure Foundation Baptist Church.
This clear presentation of the Gospel shows how to be 100% sure that you will be saved from hell and go to Heaven when you die.
Sure Foundation Baptist Church Vancouver, WA, USA
The Romans Road App is designed to help teach born again Christians how to present the plan of salvation, the Gospel of Jesus Christ, to the unsaved or non-believers.
We believe that God has preserved his word (Psalm 12:6-7) perfectly in the King James Version (KJV) Holy Bible and that it is not possible to win someone to the Lord without the pure and incorruptible word of God (1 Peter 1:23). We firmly believe that other modern bible versions are corrupted and are not the pure word of God. Because of this, they do not have the power to save someone as it is not the true word of God.
It is not possible to save someone without them first hearing the word of God from a born again believer (Romans 10:17). The word of God must be presented and explained by a saved Christian (1 Corinthians 2:14, Acts 8:31 & 2 Timothy 3:16). Once the word has been preached, if the person who received the gospel isn’t saved at that moment, God can still sow it to their heart in due course and the person can thus get saved at a later stage (1 Corinthians 3:6-8).
It is important for the soul-winner to pray for unsaved people, whether they have or haven’t heard the word of God (Luke 8:12). Prayer is powerful and it is God’s will that we pray (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, 1 John 5:14-15 & 1 Timothy 2:1-4).
For a person to be saved they must be humble. Pride is generally the biggest factor preventing them from being saved (James 4:6). Some people are more and some are less receptive to the gospel (Matthew 13:15). If someone’s heart is open to the gospel (Matthew 7:7-8) God may send or show that individual the plan of salvation through the medium of a born again believer. The Lord knows who can be saved (2 Timothy 2:25-26 & John 6:44) and who will be saved (Psalm 147:5).
Every born again child of God is commanded by God to preach the gospel (Mark 16:15). It sorely displeases God if his child (John 1:12) fails to maintain the first work, that is, to preach the gospel of our Lord and saviour Jesus Christ (Revelation 2:2-5).
We believe people have free will to believe on the Lord and that God will have all to be saved (1 Timothy 2:4). However, there can come a point where it becomes impossible for certain people to be saved (John 12:40). These people are described as reprobate by God, which means rejected (Romans 1:18-32). This is when people have crossed a threshold point with God due to hardening their hearts against him and rejecting and dishonouring him to an unnatural degree (Exodus 8:32). God in turn will harden their hearts further (Exodus 7:13-14 & Romans 9:18) and it is at this point they can become reprobate. The mass majority of the population, thankfully, are not reprobate. However, as we get further into the last days (2 Timothy 3) more and more people are becoming and will become reprobate (Revelation 13:8).
In the Romans Road App a select set of passages (scripture) have been chosen and explained, in order to help the soul-winner learn how to preach the gospel, with power (1 Corinthians 2:4-6). It is paramount that the word of God is used to win people to Christ (Hebrews 4:12 & 1 Corinthians 1:18-31). Apologetics is man’s wisdom and is not of God, thus it is not profitable in the context of soul-winning (1 Corinthians 2:7-16). Debate is also not profitable (Titus 3:9-11).
The bible passages used are among many other verses that could be used to win someone to the Lord. By no means should the saint, using the app to learn, feel limited to use only the verses provided.
The App was made because I would have liked to have had something like this to help me learn how to preach the gospel effectively when I first got saved.
– Jack Christie.
Matthew 9:37-38 (KJV) 37 Then saith he unto his disciples, The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few; 38 Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth labourers into his harvest.
Pastor Aaron Thompson (SFBC)
Jack Christie (Team Lead)
Collin Schneide (Team Coordinator)
Herbert John Escullar (App Developer)
Wade Kidwell, Jon Cornell (Web Development)
Thomas Coletto (Graphic Design)