How to present the Gospel of Jesus Christ –
KING JAMES VERSION HOLY BIBLE ONLY
‘Romans Road’ Stage 1 – Understanding we are all sinners and what sin is:
Introduce yourself and offer a tract to the person (e.g. Invite to local IFB church)
Proceed then in asking ‘More importantly in giving you this tract… God forbid; if you were to die do you know 100% for sure that you would go to heaven?’
Await for response and then kindly and boldly ask the person something along the lines of – ‘If you have moment; I can show you from the word of God how you can know for sure that when you die you’re 100% on your way to Heaven.’
Begin Gospel presentation
1. In 1 John 5:13 God tells us: These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
Explanation: God is letting us know that we can be 100% sure that we will go to heaven.
2. Next, explain: Romans 3:23 – For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
& Romans 3:10 – As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
Explanation: God is explaining that we are all sinners and we have all fallen short of his glory.
3. 1 John 3:4 – Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
Explanation: Here we learn that sin is the transgression of God’s law.
4. Romans 6:23 – For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Explanation: Focus on the 1st part of that scripture – ‘For the wages of sin is death’ – When I go to work I earn a wage, but when I sin; what I earn is death. When the bible talks about death, we learn that there is more than just a first death (the physical death), but there is also a second death (a spiritual death).
‘Romans Road’ Stage 2 – Understanding God’s punishment for sin
1. Revelation 20:14-15 – 14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
Explanation: Whoever is not found written in God’s book of life; that person’s soul will be cast into hell, into the lake of fire. This is the second death. God gives us a list of sins that condemn people to the 2nd death in:
2. Revelation 21:8 – But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
Explanation: So, here’s a list of sins, some are very bad, but notice the last sin God lists, where he says – ‘and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.’ We have all lied at least once..!
3. James 2:10 – For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
Explanation: God is holy. He is Just, he is perfect and one lie is enough to condemn us to the 2nd death. But God loves us and he is not willing that any should perish.
4. Romans 5:8 – But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Explanation: God explaining that we have a saviour, found only in his Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. And, going back to Romans 6:23 where the bible reads:
5. Romans 6:23 – For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Explanation: Lets now focus on the 2nd portion of that scripture – ‘but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.’ The Lord here is explaining that the gift of salvation (Eternal life), is through his Son, the Lord Jesus Christ.
‘Romans Road’ Stage 3 – Who is Jesus Christ?
Explain: So, before we can be saved – we need to know exactly who Jesus Christ is. The Jesus Christ found ONLY in the Holy Bible.
Believing that Jesus Christ is a Prophet, a great man of God, of course who did many wonderful miracles… Such as healing the sick, the maimed, restoring sight to the blind, raising people from the dead and of course, famously, he walked on water… Believing this is good and true, but what we must believe and understand is that Jesus Christ is in fact GOD in the flesh.
1. John 1:1 – In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Continued in: John 1:14
14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
Explanation: Here, the bible is calling Jesus Christ, with a capital W; the Word. And, what we’re learning here is that the Word is God – Jesus Christ is God, in the flesh.
2. 1 John 5:7 – For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
Explanation: So, what we learn is God is three distinct persons in One – the Father, the Word (Jesus Christ) and the Holy Ghost. This is the ‘Triune’ God of the Holy Bible.
3. Hebrews 1:8 – But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.
Explanation: God the Father, addresses his Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, as God.
The bible is very clearly teaching that Jesus Christ isn’t just a man, he is the ‘God-man’. He is God in the flesh.
4. John 14:6 – Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
Explanation: Jesus explains to us that it is only possible to get to God through him. It is not possible any other way.
5. Acts 4:12 – Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
Explanation: No one else, including ourselves (our works) or anything else can save us. Only Jesus can save us from the 2nd death.
‘Romans Road’ Stage 4 – What the LORD Jesus Christ has done for us:
Explain: Now we know who Jesus Christ is. We know he is in fact God in the flesh. But know we need to know what Jesus Christ has done for us.
1. 1 Peter 2:24 – Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
Explanation: The bible is explaining that Jesus Christ, when he was crucified at the cross at Calvary 2000 years ago; he took on all of our sins. He bore all of our sins in his body – All of our sins – past, present and future.
2. 1 John 2:2 – And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
Explanation: Jesus Christ died for the whole world’s sins, that we might be saved.
3. Acts 2:31 – He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.
Explanation: So, here we learn that after the Lord Jesus Christ was crucified and accomplished the full atonement for all of our sins at the cross, his soul descended into hell for three days and three nights. Jesus Christ is the only One, out of all the religions in the world, that took our punishment upon himself in hell, so that we don’t have to go there for eternity.
We learn that Jesus Christ rose from the dead, bodily, on the third day:
4. 1 Corinthians 15:3-8
3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
5 And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:
6 After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.
7 After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles.
8 And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.
Explanation: We learn that on the third day, after his death, Jesus rose from the dead, bodily. Having accomplished the full atonement for ours sins. Before ascending up into Heaven, where he currently is sat at the right hand of the Father. Albeit, his is omnipresent.
‘Romans Road’ Stage 5 – How we are saved:
1. Acts 16:30-31
30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?
31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
Explanation: So, the bible is teaching; to be saved we just need to believe. It doesn’t say we need to turn from sin (which is impossible, as the bible says even the thought of foolishness is sin). It doesn’t say we need to do good works… go to church… be baptised. These are good things and God wants us to do these things, but when it comes to salvation – All we must do is believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. Put all our faith on him, nothing of ourselves, to get us to Heaven.
2. John 3:15-16
15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
Explanation: Again; the Word of God tells us that it’s purely by putting our faith (our belief) in and on Jesus Christ that saves us. The bible equates salvation with everlasting (eternal) life. This doesn’t mean that we live as immortals in this flesh on the earth. It means that, if we are saved, we are assured that we will go to heaven when we die.
‘Romans Road’ Stage 6 – Salvation is purely by faith alone, not works:
1. Ephesians 2:8-9
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Explanation: God is telling us; by his grace, through our faith, we’re saved. It is not of our own works! It is a free gift!
So, an example would be – If I say I’m going to wash your car for free, as a gift… but then, two weeks later I come back and say can I have money for that? At that point, is that a gift? No its not. So what God’s saying here is our salvation is based purely on our faith. It is a free gift from him. We cannot work for it.
2. Isaiah 64:6 – But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
Explanation: God is explaining that our works, in regards to being saved, are as filthy rags to him. The thought of us being righteous and working our way to heaven are offensive to God. He’s not saying that he doesn’t want us to do good works. But, he’s saying that in regards to our salvation, it means nothing to God.
If we could earn our way to Heaven, then why did the Lord Jesus have to come down and suffer such a horrific death at the cross… and then his soul had to go to hell for three days and three nights, to pay for all of our sins. It’s purely our faith in Jesus Christ’s finished work at the cross, his death burial and resurrection that saves us.
3. Galatians 2:16 – Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
Explanation: Again, another of many multiple passages in the bible, where God explains extremely clearly; that we are not justified by our works. ONLY our faith in Jesus and what he has done is accepted by God.
5. Titus 3:5 – Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
Explanation: God, again, is strongly emphasizing the point that it is just by the finished works of the Lord Jesus Christ and putting our faith in him that saves us.
6. Romans 11:6 – And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then it is no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.
Explanation: God hammering the point here; that none of our works, none of our righteousness’s are acceptable in his sight. The ONLY thing that saves us is putting ALL our faith in Jesus Christ and what he’s done for us!
‘Romans Road’ Stage 7 – Eternal security of the believer:
Explain: Now, we understand that it’s only our faith that saves us. But, what would happen if God forbid, when we’re saved, we were to commit a really bad sin? What would happen if a saved Christian were to commit something as bad a murder?
I’ll give an example – There’s been a series of really horrible and painful circumstances that have happened to a born again Christian. This Christian goes to a bar, gets drunk, ends up getting into a bar fights and actually kills somebody. Will that Christian lose their salvation? The answer is NO! Once you’re saved, you’re ALWAYS SAVED. You can NEVER lose your salvation.
God promises us that, if we’re saved, we’ll pay for all our sins in this life. He will not hold us accountable for them in the next life.
1. Hebrews 12:6 – For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
Explanation: So, what God’s explaining is once you’re saved (once you’re born again), adopted into his family and you become his son or his daughter; he will chastise you (he will chasten you) for your sins. So, God forbid, in the circumstance of the example I gave; the Christian who ended up killing somebody – This person, providing they truly were saved, God promises he will punish him for his sin on this earth. That could mean that he sends him to prison, he inflicts him with disease, bad things will happen to this person… But he will not lose his salvation.
2. Hebrews 12:9 – Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?
Explanation: God is explaining that just like our biological father; when we were younger and were badly behaved… we would be disciplined and told off. In this case God is our Father. Just because we commit sins or a very bad sin, does not mean God disowns us. He is always our Father, he will never disown us. Just like your biological father will always be your biological father. God will always be your God, your Father.
3. Titus 1:2 – In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;
Explanation: When God promises you eternal life through his Son the Lord Jesus Christ, if you were a born again Christian that could lose your salvation that would make God a liar. Because he promised that once we’re saved (born again) we have eternal life. If we were to lose it that means it wasn’t eternal in the first place, and we know that God cannot lie. So once you’re saved, you’re always saved.
4. John 6:37
37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.
Explanation: Jesus promising us that once we’ve believed on him, he will never cast us out, he will never disown us. No matter what!
5. John 10:28 – And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
Explanation: So, we know without question that once we’re saved we’re always saved. We can never lose our salvation!
6. 2 Peter 3:9 – The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is long-suffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
Explanation: Again, God loves us. He wants us to turn to Jesus to be saved. He doesn’t want anybody to perish and suffer the 2nd death.
13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
‘Romans Road’ Stage 8 – Call upon the name of the LORD to be saved:
Ask: So I’d like to ask you – if you understand that we’re all sinners and our sin has condemned us to hell. But Jesus Christ died for our sins. He atoned for our sins, he was buried and he rose from the dead on the 3rd day and Jesus is LORD. If you understand that the only way we can be saved is by putting all of our faith in him. Nothing of ourselves, just putting purely all our faith in God’s only begotten Son, the Lord Jesus Christ.
You understand that this is a gift that you cannot work for and you cannot lose it… Then I’d like to pray with you.
This prayer in and of itself does not save us. It’s the faith in our heart on Jesus Christ that saves us. If you believe then I’d like to pray with you.
Let’s bow our heads and pray to God and repeat after me:
‘Heavenly Father, I come to you in the name of Jesus Christ. Lord, I believe that I am a sinner and my sin has condemned me to the second death.
But Lord, I believe that Jesus Christ died for my sins, was buried and he rose from the dead on the third day, Lord. Father, I’m putting all my faith in Jesus Christ; His death, burial and resurrection.
Lord, I accept that free gift of salvation. I’m putting all my faith in Jesus, nothing of myself, Lord. Please save me. Thank you, Lord. I love you. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.’